Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lego Club

This summer I began hosting Lego Club every other Wednesday from 4-5 pm at my library. It was advertised for children ages 6-12, but we allowed younger and older siblings to join. It was a very simple program to plan and lots of children attended. (We averaged around 35). I would encourage this event for any library because it is very stress free!

Planning
  • Collect Legos through donations or library purchases
  • Separate Legos into boxes (I like paper box lids!)
  • Create rules because every club needs rules
    • I wrote the rules on poster board and had it up for every Lego Club. I also had to add rules throughout the summer when I noticed bad behavior.
    • 1. Don't take Legos from other people.
    • 2. Be respectful.
    • 3. Don't throw Legos.
    • 4. Don't put Legos in your mouth.
    • 5. Clean up when you are done.
    • 6. Have fun!
  • Pick a theme
    • I chose themes such as robots, transportation, pirates, and movies. Some children suggested themes for us to do! Children did not have to build to the theme; it was just to give them an idea of something to build.
Program Schedule
  • Welcome children and parents to Lego Club.
  • Go over rules. Children volunteered to read them for me. Also ask if they have any questions or additional rules they think we need.
  • Unveil the theme. Have children brainstorm what kinds of things they could build.
  • Handout large pieces of construction paper to every child. I chose to do this so they could each have a designated space to keep and build with the Legos.
  • Distribute boxes of Legos. I liked to provide at least two for each table.
  • Building time! Children now have an hour to build whatever they want with the Legos. During this time I walk around and chat with the children. I ask them questions to get to know them better and to find out what they are building.
I really enjoy watching the children build. They use their imagination, share with friends, give ideas and critique to help others, and parents, especially dads, build too.

Check out some of the Lego creations!




















This program is enjoyable for all ages and it is easy to plan and manage. It also allows to children to use and develop problem solving and critical thinking skills. Children also build social skills by working together and sharing.

Children and parents are excited for Lego Club to start again. We are always getting questions about it. I'm ready to bring it back for the fall schedule!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you included the pictures! The kids did so many cool projects!

    ReplyDelete