Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Outreach Storytime 1/10/12 Continued

After I read to the babies, I moved on to the three-year-olds. I don't know what was wrong with them yesterday, but they were crazy. I went into the classroom late because three different teachers had to go talk to them.

Opening Song
Hands Are Clapping
(To the tune of Skip to my Lou)
Hands are clapping
Clap, clap, clap
Hands are clapping
Clap, clap, clap
Hands are clapping
Clap, clap, clap
Clap your hands, my darling

Toes are tapping… Tap, tap, tap
Tongues are clicking...Click, click, click
Feet are stomping...Stomp, stomp, stomp

Book 1

Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook

This book allowed the children to make inferences. Each picture showed a uniform and gave a description and then the children had to guess whose clothes they were. They got all  but the carpenter (which is hard) so we were able to learn some new vocabulary. At the end of the book I asked each of them what they want to be when the grow up. Here are their responses: Fireman, artist, teacher, astronaut, zombie, and birds.

Book 2

Chickens to the Rescue! by John Himmelman

I wanted the children to read the story along with me. I brought in a prop with a picture of a chicken and told them to say "Chickens to the Rescue!" whenever I held up the chicken. It worked out very well and I think they enjoyed telling the story too.

Song

Five Little Monkeys
Swinging in the Tree

Five little monkeys
swinging in the tree
teasing Mr. Alligator
"Can't Catch me!"
along came Mr. Alligator
as quiet as can be 
and snapped
 that monkey out that tree 

Four little monkeys. . 3,2,1

Book 3

Tip Tip, Dig Dig by Emma Garcia

I know this book is a little young for the age group, but it worked for them. Since they were so wild I thought a book with a lot of movement get some of their energy out. It did! They followed all the movements and told me the color of all the trucks.

Song

Roly Poly
Roly Poly, Roly Poly, Up Up Up
Roly Poly, Roly Poly, Down Down Down
Roly Poly, Roly Poly, Clap, Clap Clap
Roly Poly, Roly Poly, Lap, Lap, Lap
They specifically requested this song. Clearly it is loved by everyone.
Book 4
Press Here by Herve Tullet
They loved this book. I didn't let them touch the book since they were behaving so badly. They did get to clap when necessary, so they were very impressed and said the book was magic.
Closing Song
 Zoom, Zoom, Zoom 
Zoom, zoom, zoom
(clap hands rhythmically)
We’re going to the moon
Zoom, zoom, zoom
We’ll be there very soon
 In 5…4…3…2…1…Blast off!
(jump up and blast off)

This storytime was chaotic, but still enjoyable. I felt like I spent most of the time disciplining the children because they were being rude to each other and to me. I normally would not have been as tough on them, but the teacher didn't step in. I felt very assertive and I was glad I didn't let the children walk all over me during storytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment