Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Outreach Storytime 1/7/12

Yesterday I did outreach storytime at my favorite preschool. Their classrooms are named after Bill Martin's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, so I have the privilege of completing storytime with the Red Bird and Yellow Duck classes. Both classes are full of four-year-olds that are excited for storytime every month I show up.

I usually read four to five books, but this time I only made it through three because two of them were pretty long.

Opening Song
If You Listen And You Hear Me
If you listen and you hear me go like this, (clap rhythm)
If you listen and you hear me go like this, (clap rhythm)
If you listen then you’ll hear me ‘cause you’re sitting really near me,  
If you listen and you hear me go like this, (clap rhythm) 

Stomp feet…
Pat knees...

Book 1

Are You A Horse? by Andy Rash

Past storytellers have had problems with this book in storytime because children don't get the joke at the end of the story. (If you haven't read it, the horse rides Cowboy Roy instead of Cowboy Roy riding the horse.)  It's very funny, but they just don't get it. This time we talked a lot about how you ride a horse and what is the purpose of a saddle. This definitely worked because they all thought the book was very funny. Roy also doesn't know what a horse looks like, so we described horses before we began reading. Overall this book is great for storytime as long as you discuss certain topics before you begin reading.

Song

Roly Poly
Roly Poly, Roly Poly
Up, Up, Up!
Roly Poly, Roly Poly
Down, Down, Down!
Roly Poly, Roly Poly
Clap, Clap, Clap!
Roly Poly, Roly Poly,
Lap, Lap, Lap!

Book 2

Chickens to the Rescue by John Himmelman

This book is wonderful because it allows the children to help tell the story. Throughout the story, the chickens help different people and animals on the farm. Someone needs help and then the chickens come to the rescue. For example: On one page the farmer dropped his watch in the well. On the next page the chickens come to the rescue and creatively get his watch back. Instead of me saying "Chickens to the Rescue!," I held up a picture of a chicken to let them know that it was time to say "Chickens to the Rescue!" The prop really helped because I didn't have to verbally prompt them. By seeing the chicken they knew it was time for them to say the line. The children really got into the book and seemed disappointed when it was over. Maybe I'll bring some other books by John Himmelman next time.  

Book 3

Press Here by Herve Tullet

Let me tell you, this book it magic! It isn't really a story so I would say it's more of an interactive experience. The book begins with one yellow dot on the first page. Each page gives instructions to the reader that will create more dots, change the color of the dots, move the dots, and increase the size of the dots. Since I had nine well behaved children, I let them each take turns with the book. I sat on the floor, held the book, and helped them follow directions. They did all the pressing, tapping, rubbing, blowing, shaking, and clapping that the book asked for. They were so impressed when the dots changed and multiplied. They all said the book was magic and wanted to do it again. Unfortunately we didn't have the time, but I promised that I would bring it back next time.

Song

Since I didn't have time to read another book, we just stood up and sang two songs before the end of the storytime. Five Little Monkeys is always a hit with the snapping and it's a good way to informally talk about subtraction.

Five Little Monkeys
 Swinging in the Tree
Five little monkeys
swinging in the tree 
teasing Mr. Alligator
"Can't Catch me!"
along came Mr. Alligator
as quiet as can be  
and snapped
that monkey out that tree 
Four little monkeys. . 3, 2, 1

Song

This song is great for getting some energy out before the children have to return to their normal routine. It's a crowd favorite at all storytimes. I do add in stomping to make the song longer, and we also repeat stomping and clapping.

Clap, Clap, Clap Your Hands
(Tune Row Row Row Your Boat)

Clap, clap, clap your hands
As slowly as you can
Clap, clap, clap your hands
As quickly as you can
Additional verses:

Roll, roll, roll your hands…
Shake, shake, shake your hands...
Pat, pat, pat your head...


Closing Song

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
Zoom, zoom, zoom
(clap hands rhythmically)
We’re going to the moon
Zoom, zoom, zoom
We’ll be there very soon
In 5…4…3…2…1…blast off!
(jump up and blast off)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you try books that don't always work for other people. It's great that you cater them to the right audience and find ways to make them work for you. Such a smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete